Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Letter to the Pigou Club

From Congressman Bob Inglis:

Dear Pigou Club Members,

A revenue-neutral carbon tax could set up a bi-partisan triple play of this American century. We can clean up the air, create jobs, and enhance our national security.

My Raise Wages, Cut Carbon Act of 2009 cuts payroll taxes and, in equal amount, imposes a tax on carbon dioxide emissions. The tax is border adjustable and is designed to be WTO compliant.

We're conducting a "Virtual Hearing" on the Raise Wages, Cut Carbon Act of 2009 in the hopes of improving the bill before I actually file it. I've kicked off the "hearing" with an opening statement, which you can find here, along with a copy of the bill, a summary, and various white papers addressing different portions of the bill. I'd love for you to look over these materials, and then tell me what you think by posting a YouTube response to my opening statement. You can do that here.

Thank you, and I look forward to benefitting from your expertise and insights!

Sincerely,

Bob Inglis
Member of Congress (R-SC4)